I haven't even played the game yet and I already feel this excited, thank you game developers and game itself! (Looking forward to it!)
A downloadable game for Windows
MoonQuest is a procedurally-generated adventure game. Each game generates a new world to explore with wild forests, giant mountains and ancient ruins. Harvest resources, find treasure, and forge the weapons that will help you on your journey.
"There's an inviting strangeness to it." PC Gamer
"It looks incredible." Tech Raptor
A procedurally-generated world
Every game in MoonQuest features a unique, procedurally-generated world to explore. Each world contains a variety of regions, each with their own resources, wildlife, enemies, merchants, weather, and moon. Delve into the caves below the forest to find rare metal ores, adventure into ancient ruins to discover powerful items, and find the lost cathedral to discover its secrets.
Each world you generate may contain numerous resources to mine or harvest, such as ores, plants and wildlife. Use these resources to forge items or build structures to help you on your quest. Some of the valuable resources you can mine include silver ore, sugar, bones and crystals.
The world in MoonQuest is fully destructible, so you'll be chopping through thick vines to gain entrance to lairs and demolishing walls to infiltrate castles and ruins. Some challenges in the world may require specialised tools to overcome, but the challenges are always surmountable.
Some examples of regions you may encounter are:
- A forest buried in snow, with frozen ponds and wandering bandits;
- A grand castle atop a mountain, guarded by a silver legion;
- A labyrinthine ruin preceding a desolate tomb;
- A rope bridge leading to a deserted beach;
- A sewer system hiding an ancient rusted machine;
- A winding system of sugar caves, populated by bats;
- A cathedral plagued by demons, hidden below an altar; and,
- A bustling village of craftspeople.
The world in MoonQuest is surrounded by a number of strange moons. Each new game uses a randomly generated set of moons, each with subtle influences on the landscape below it. Some of the moons you may encounter are:
- Giant Moon: a featureless orb which embiggens many things;
- Treasure Moon: a shining beacon which symbolises great wealth;
- Water Moon: a beautiful blue sphere which brings relentless rain and flood; and,
- Frog Moon: a green rock that creates frogs, lots of frogs.
There are many playable characters in MoonQuest, many with unique abilities or items. Some characters affect the world that is generated and some characters pursue different quests. Some of the characters available include:
- Moonman: a cheerful green alien whose smile illuminates the world;
- Amphibian: a creature from the sea who breathes underwater;
- Argonax: a powerful wizard who wields a magic wand;
- Spartan: a warrior equipped with golden armour who must vanquish the undead;
- Gromlet: a famous actor with something to prove;
- Elemental: a being who can attune to ore with his powerful antennae;
- Carl: a stranded astronaut who must avoid the giants and return home;
- Meteor: an entity of hellfire which burns everything he loves;
- Hunter: an assassin who must fulfill a deadly contract; and,
- Many others!
There are hundreds of items to discover and craft, including weapons, tools, and armour. These items may be hidden deep within a mountain, in the cellar of a merchant, or locked away in a dungeon. Finding these items will help you not die. In the town you'll find merchants and crafting tools, and by locating the right currency or resources you can buy, forge, cook, or weave many useful items. Some of the items in MoonQuest are:
- Weapons, such as the Ornate Silver Sword, Polymorph Wand, and Dragon Staff;
- Tools, such as the Golden Shovel, Royal Longbroom, and Giant Feather;
- Helmets, such as the Bell Helmet, Royal Kabuto, and Plumed Bascinet;
- Masks, such as the Skull Mask, Bird Mask, and Salamander Mask;
- Armour, such as the Moon Robe, Gloom's Curse, and Sky Raiment;
- Shields, such as the Buckler, Glorious Bench, and Guard of the Serpent;
- Useful items, such as the Spyglass, Compass, and Map;
- Precious resources, such as Iron Ingots, Coins, and Crystals; and,
- Accessories, such as the Smorkin' Pipe, Walking Stick, and Round Glasses.
Can I use a controller? Yes, the game supports a wide-range of controllers. However, we recommend playing MoonQuest with a mouse and keyboard.
What are the minimum requirements?
- OS: Windows, Linux or macOS
- Graphics: Integrated Graphics with OpenGL 3
Is there an official soundtrack? Yes! It is called NoonGuest and was composed by Aliceffekt. Go and listen to it!
Running the game
Windows: You can play the game by double-clicking the icon.
Linux: You can play the game by running ./moonquest.sh from the command line.
MacOS: You can play the game by ctrl-clicking the icon and selecting Open. See this article for more information.
Itch.io app: The game can also be run from within the Itch.io App.
|Updated||3 days ago|
|Made with||SFML, Box2D|
|Tags||Action-Adventure, Crafting, Exploration, minecraftian, Procedural Generation|
|Average session||A few hours|
|Inputs||Keyboard, Mouse, Xbox controller, Playstation controller|
|Links||Steam, Homepage, Soundtrack, Twitter|
|Mentions||itch.io Recommends: Gnog, moon adventure...|
In order to download this game you must purchase it at or above the minimum price of $19.99 USD. You will get access to the following files:
Log in with itch.io to leave a comment.
I haven’t played this yet, but it looks really great. If you released it on steam it could make a huge profit I think.
Is there going to be a Mac version?
It's cool to finally see MoonQuest out and playable, even if it's still early on. I've only just begun my adventure, but can really see the potential it has in terms of crafting and exploration. The music comes off as a bit limited and on the quiet side, but the visuals are all quite nice, carrying a quirky style in everything you see. I'm definitely curious to see what will happen in my continued adventuresGood job, devs.
Thanks for playing!
Streamed the game recently and thought I might share. (The latter half has more of the good bits and feedback.)
what is the download key for?
From the F.A.Q. above:
I see keys in the MoonQuest package. What are they for? Whoops, ignore those! They were for a legacy version of MoonQuest and are no longer needed.
You should be able to delete them from the "external keys" page if you don't need to hand them out anymore. Click on the page that takes you to the listing and scroll way down. Tell me if you have any issues.
Hey, played a bit of this on my channel! Only barely dipped my toe into it, though, so I might have to do some more. Really loving it, so far!
I have now spent a good many hours playing the game and I love it. I'd say if you like the idea of a rogue-like mixed with an endless exploration of the weird then you ought to enjoy Moonquest a lot. You have limited lives and sometimes you get unlucky and it's game over, but within seconds you're back to exploring a completely new & weird world. That you have limited chances before you start into a new world is probably my favorite thing about the game. It's not an endless exploration of a single world, it's like sitting down to a completely new challenge every time.
Congrats Ben, so excited to see that this is finally out! - Matt
*You no longer explode when climbing ladders.*
I would call this a feature not a bug.
Looks funny, odd, weird, and well done! Love the art style :)
Congratulations my friend 💜
Does buying the game here come with a Steam key?
Nope. It does come with a "game key" which seems to be a string of randomly generated words (distinctly not a Steam key), but I have no idea what its intended function is.
Nope, just the DRM-free game. It also works through the itch app.
Looks very kooky. I am a fan of this level of madness. So excited it is out!
12 dollars? you've been working on this so long and I've been following so long I feel I should be paying 1200 dollars. But Ima just pay 12 dollars because I don't actually have that much money.
Awesome stuff Ben! You've finally done it! Congratulations, can't wait to sink my teeth into this epic!